Saturday, July 25, 2009

I don't hate to see her go

Maybe this comes from my libertarian nature. Or maybe it comes from my lifelong fascination with, and my formal education in, history. Perhaps it's the synthesis of the two: My morbid interest in the evil men of the world. The serial killers, corrupt big-shots and, especially, the tyrants.

I've read thousands of news stories about criminals, and I've written a few. I've studied scores of books about hundreds of peoples and their actions over the course of all human history, from man's climb out of the swamp to his leap toward the stars. I took a hefty load of courses devoted to the study of how people have behaved and why. And I've followed politics and government's activities for as long as I can remember.

I am not the sole authority on human behavior, nor am I singularly or even uniquely qualified to discuss sociological occurrences. But during my education, such as it is, I've noticed something important.

Of all the serial killers, corrupt big-shots and tyrants there have been (and there have been a lot), the very very worst of them are always in government.

Adolf Hitler could have neither killed 6 million Jews nor invaded Poland from any job other than Chancellor of Germany.

Joseph Stalin was never all that friendly, but the Purges, the Pogroms, the forced collectivization of farms and the famine-by-policy were never possible until he became General Secretary of the Soviet Union.

There is little record of Idi Amin's exploits before he seized the office of "His Excellency, Presient for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada." His exploits while in office are more well known.

But for the authority granted him as a leader, Pol Pot would have been unable to murder one-fifth of Cambodians.

There are many kinds of human criminals on many scales of severity. Some bad, bad people never held a job higher up than chocolate-maker. But Jeffrey Dahmer's death toll was less than 20; Stalin's was at least 20 million.

Certainly, Sarah Palin's name does not belong on any list with the names above. She's never been convicted of so much as swiping a candy bar from a grocery store (though she's been accused of much). But she has been a member of government, with far more authority than most normal people would ever seek. A governor of a state or another chieftain in government can, if she so chooses, destroy innocent people.

I don't know why Mrs. Palin decided to resign. My sense is that she did not seek fame, that, rather, duty called her into every campaign she ever entered. My other sense is that she does not deserve the lies that have been told about her or the hatred she has attracted. In whatever she chooses to do next (and I am not at all convinced that she will run for president, though I am entirely convinced she'd do a better job than Barack Obama is) I wish her well.

In larger terms, maybe my thoughts come from my deep well of mistrust for government. (If you trust government -- even ours -- any further than you can throw it, then you are a gullible, sad, pathetic excuse for a human being.) Maybe it's because I saw what the Ayatollahs did to Iranians after their recent election. Maybe it's because, for all of my short life and for all the history of human beings, governments all over the world have been guilty of (at best) waste, fraud and abuse, and (at worst) of outright theft, rape and murder.

From what I know, from what I've seen, from what I've experienced and learned, there is one thing -- maybe only one thing -- that a government potentate can do at any time in their career and almost never be wrong for doing it.

They can quit.

There are significant exceptions, of course. The retirement of Ronald Reagan in 1981, Abraham Lincoln in 1862, or George Washington in 1776 would have sent the world down a road to darkness. But the scarcity of such men is barely finite.

Almost every time a person with power relinquishes it, humanity wins.

2 comments:

Jordan Gray said...

more anti-government blather from the man who has no problem taking our tax-dollars working for the strongest arm of the government – the military.
Hitler didn't kill all those people, his military did.

I trust government (the concept, not 2/3 of the officials in it) because it's theoretically the only protection against the monster we created for our society known as big business. If the economic crisis hasn't convinced you what a slave your life is to the whims of a handful of large corporations then you'll never have the common sense to be of any use to the world.

Unchecked Capitalism has created a house of cards that we're all inextricably linked to. You allow and encourage them to get so big (hey! it's the american dream!) that my life suffers because of the business practices of some car company in Michigan. How is that freedom?

So we're a slave to a bunch of Fortune 500 board members, and our only protection should be the government, but you fucking people and your Grand Dinosaur Party keep electing officials that let these monsters do whatever they want – all in the name of "freedom". But you don't have the foresight to see how much freedom you take from the rest of us by allowing it.

Government officials (largely the deregulators you guys keep forcing on us) may be a spineless and corrupt lot, but make no mistake: they are the symptom, not the disease.

I may only trust 1/3 of the government, but that's 1/3 more than I trust a single greedy corporation that has been allowed to grow so big it's buying off the one institution that's supposed to save us.

Oh, and Palin deserves every thorn in her uneducated, hypocritical, lying paw.

Will Manly said...

Jordan, it might make you feel better to know that I hold the GMs of the world in similar esteem as I do the overempowered bureaucrats. The only difference is that GM doesn't have the power to confiscate and legislate, except when they buy it. And even then, the government is just as guilty for selling as GM is for buying