Friday, January 9, 2009

The best man's embarrassing speech

My cousin got married Jan. 3. I was his best man, and below is the text of the toast I gave at the reception. I cried.

My earliest memory of Cody was in his incubator, when he was a newborn.
More times than I can remember, Roger said "I swear these kids act more like brothers than like cousins."
I remember a few times when Cody threw his fists at my face.
I remember he once threw a shoe at my head.
When we were in high school, I remember him shooting me in the foot with a paintball gun at point blank range. I spent the rest of that afternoon hopping on one foot and cussing him.
Somewhere in there, I remember thinking I liked Cody better when he was in the incubator.

I remember when Cody was very young, and his sister Kalana was sick. I remember how sad and lonely it was here in Kansas when he had to move to California with Peggy and Kalana. And how it was much more fun for us when he was here. And I remember seeing him face fate's cruelties with more courage than a little boy should be required to have.
And I remember that, by the time Cody was 10 years old, he was more grown up than I will ever be.


I remember many, many, many days in our childhood when Jared and Cody and I would play football games, one against another, the third alternating teams at quarterback. Cody was the youngest and he was the smallest. But that was never a guarantee that either Jared or I would win the game.
I do not remember ever seeing Cody intimidated.
I remember in one of Cody's high school football games, when he was once beaten for a touchdown pass. A good 9 seconds after the play was over, the whistle blown, and most of the players on both teams headed for the sideline, he grabbed the offending receiver in the back of the endzone, swung him around 360 degrees at least 3 times and flung him to the ground. 6 or 7 penalty flags flew at him and let me tell you, my mother and my aunt Peggy were appalled that those referees were picking on Cody.
Just before Thanksgiving, Jared, Kayla, Catelyn, my dad and I played a football game in the yard. Jared and I beat Catelyn and Kayla, and we had more fun than I remember having for a long, long time. But I remember thinking, I wish Cody was here.

I remember how happy I was when I learned Cody and Darcy were engaged. Darcy, I've known you for as long as I can remember, and I have no qualms telling you that I am deeply honored to have you join our family.
And I will always remember standing with Cody during their wedding, watching Cody and Darcy gaze at each other, so obviously in love. In each other, you both have something that we can all be jealous of.

So here's to Cody and Darcy ... may their days be long and full of happiness. May their children be many, and full of health. And may they live in peace and freedom.

No comments: